Teen Dies From DNP Usage – Daily Mail

admin May 1, 2014 Comments
Dead Teen DNP INDia

Sarmad Alladin

“Sarmad Alladin died after taking deadly ‘bodybuilding’ tablets he bought over the internet, an inquest has heard

The teenager, an international student at Epsom’s University for the Creative Arts (UCA), died in Epsom Hospital in February last year after taking DNP – a fat-burning drug which he bought over the internet from an unknown source.

Police drugs experts have said the chemical – made from the industrial 2,4-Dinitrophenol – is extremely dangerous and was used in explosives in the First World War.

Mr Alladin, the son of an Indian millionaire originally from Hyderabad, called 999 at 3.25am on February 13 last year, saying he had stomach pains and a high temperature. An ambulance took him to Epsom Hospital, where he died at 6.20am.

Police investigating his death later found pots of pills and tablets in his room – including DNP – as well as needles and many different bodybuilding supplements.

Repeating written evidence of a paramedic who treated Mr Alladin, Coroner Michael Burgess said: ‘The deceased admitted taking DNP to lose weight, purchased from the internet.’


Dr Ali Alhakim, who conducted a post-mortem examination, said his death was caused by the taking of DNP.

Toxicology tests found there was 201mg per litre of DNP in his blood – ‘a high concentration’, Dr Alhakim said.

He told the coroner that Mr Alladin had stretch marks on his shoulders, chest and his back, suggesting a recent increase in muscle mass beneath the skin.

Dr Alhakim said he could not sure how long Mr Alladin has been taking the drugs for.

Mr Alladin, whose family did not attend the inquest, had attended the independent King’s School in Rochester, Kent before starting at UCA Epsom in October 2012.

Daniel James, who studied with Mr Alladin in Rochester and Epsom, said that keeping in good physical shape became ‘the main aim in his life’ when he started at UCA.

Dead Teen DNP INDia Dead Teen DNP INDiaHe put posters of bodybuilders including Arnold Schwarznegger on the walls of his university room, the inquest heard.

Mr James added: ‘I’m not sure anyone knew him that much. He never really spoke about his parents or family.’

Mr James said that when speaking of DNP, Mr Alladin gave the impression that he ‘knew what he was doing’.

Dr Jenny Newell, Mr Alladin’s former GP, said she saw the art and design student ‘pumped up’ nine months before his death.

She said she had warned Mr Alladin about using the drugs, but he was determined to build up his body to get into sports teams.

She told the inquest: ‘I was alarmed by the number of medications he had in his possession. He had ordered various things over the internet.

‘I told him what he was doing was stupid and dangerous but he was resolute in his belief that these were necessary to get him into the Indian rugby team.’

Dead Teen DNP INDia

She said the teen’s tragic death ‘wasn’t a surprise’ to her because he had told her he had ‘tons and tons of stuff’, including serums from India to inject into his body.

Mr Alladin’s GP in Epsom, Dr Nigel McKee, said it was clear that he was taking bodybuilding drugs and other supplements.

Dr McKee told the hearing: ‘There was quite a lot of talk about how he was a disappointment to his family and he implied his father was a bodybuilder and he wanted to emulate him.

Giving his verdict, Mr Burgess said: ‘His death was due to accident. The unintentional consequences of an action that he initiated himself.’

After the verdict, David Campbell, a drugs expert for Surrey Police, said that in his 35 years in the position this was the first time he had ever come across DNP.

He said: ‘DNP was an explosive used in the First World War. It can come in various guises. In powder form it is very volatile and dangerous.’

Commenting on Mr Alladin’s death, Dr Simon Olfield-Kerr, vice-chancellor of UCA, has said all students have since been issued with a warning about the drug.”

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2617594/Student-nicknamed-Mr-Muscles-died-taking-bodybuilding-tablets-hed-bought-online.html#ixzz30SfuwOJ7
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook